Hello! I’m super excited to be on the Craft Lightning Halloween Blog tour today, where several other bloggers and I are sharing 15 minute Halloween projects using our Cricut machines. I love Halloween, I love my Cricut Maker, and I love QUICK projects! So this was basically a win/win/win for me.
I should also mention that you have the chance to win your own Cricut Maker machine!! Read to the bottom to find out how!
Obviously the best part of Halloween is getting dressed up as whatever you want to be! (or is it the candy?) There was one Halloween when I was little where I remember changing between 4-5 different costumes because I couldn’t settle on just one.
When I first started brainstorming ideas for this post, the only projects I could come up with were home decor, but I really wanted to create a tutorial for a quick dress up that could be used as a costume (or part of one). Finally, it hit me that a felt mask would be perfect, and I decided to go with a Unicorn!
You could go all out with a really fun over the top outfit, or keep it low key & wear the mask with an every day outfit for a pop of fun on Halloween!
It’s really quick & easy to make, and doesn’t require a ton of supplies. Let’s get started!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Cricut Maker machine (Note: you can use a different Cricut model, but you would need to add a backing to your felt like Heat n Bond Ultra, and use the deep cut blade)
- Cricut Rotary Blade & Pink Fabric Mat
- I picked up some Kunin Eco-Fi Plus Premium Felt by the sheet from Joann. It was a little thicker and nicer than their cheaper craft felt.
- One 8×12″ piece of white felt (face & back)
- One 2×5″ piece of black felt (eyelashes)
- One 3×6″ piece of colored felt for flowers (I did all 3 teal)
- One 5×5″ piece of colored felt for the horn & ears (I did pink)
- Fabric Glue – I used Beacon Fabri-Tac
- 1 yard of coordinating ribbon
- Scissors or small rotary cutter
Here’s a video showing the entire process from cut to finish! For step-by-step instructions, see below.
- First, you will need to download the SVG cut file HERE.
- Once you have downloaded it, you will upload the file into Cricut Design Space.
- I don’t suggest resizing the image. It will cut at an appropriate size for a child. If you do decide to resize it, make sure you have all of the elements selected.
- Click “Make it” and Design Space will arrange all of the pieces onto Mats based on the different colors.
- I used the Pink Fabric Mat, the rotary blade, and the Cricut brand Felt setting. I did not use Cricut brand felt, but the felt I used was a little thicker and nicer quality. The Cricut brand Felt setting worked perfectly.
- Once all of your pieces are cut out, you need to cut a small slit on each side of the Backing piece. Then cut your ribbon in half, so you should have two 18″ long pieces.
- Thread one end of ribbon through on each side, pulling through about 1/2″ of ribbon through the slit. Glue the ribbon down.
- Now glue the Unicorn Face over the backing, lining them up. This will enclose and secure the ribbon.
- Next, glue the horn down, lining it up with the backing. Then glue the eyelashes, flowers, and ears.
- Let the glue dry before wearing!
- If you’d like to further embellish it, you could add sequins, embroidery, glitter, etc. There are many possibilities!
My daughter is obsessed with her new mask, and I know this will be played with as a dress up beyond Halloween! They would also make great party favors for a Unicorn themed party!
Thanks for stopping in, I hope you enjoyed the tutorial. If you make a mask with this tutorial, I’d love to see it! Tag me on social media or post a picture to my Facebook page.
Make sure to pin this image so you can save this tutorial for later! See below for the GIVEAWAY!!